Void Magic

Author Topic: Void Magic  (Read 11044 times)

RossD20Studios

• Founder & Game Developer, D20Studios
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Void Magic
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
The Void
In the beginning, before time and space, there was the Void. The Void is the existential state of non-being. It is “nothingness” - an inherent truth and the persistent origin of all things, so speaks the scholars and ancient texts of the Academy of Arcane Arts. Accounts of those who have experienced the origin moment often speak of the Void as an emotion - the “feeling of emptiness”. It is a balance of fear and hope: fear that eternity is without meaning or purpose, forever alone in despair, and hope that within lies the potential to be something that is great and loved. This innate quality of non-being is what causes existential essence, the motion that drives the creation of all things within the universe.

Void Magic
The Void is often misunderstood and many of those gifted with its insights are driven to madness. In Summoners Fate, Void magic represents the negative state of nothingness and is associated with fear, despair, hunger and death. Dark and nightmarish beings, demons of the Void, are shadowy like creatures that feed upon the thoughts and dreams of corporeal beings. They are constant reminders of the existential balance between fear and hope. Void spells include the power to nourish by taking life, the conjuring of dark beings, and the power to bring death.

Void Spells
What do you think of these ideas and what kinds of Void spells would you like to see in Summoners Fate?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:19:52 PM by RossD20Studios »

Diesbudt

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Void Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
A spell like "void dimension". Unit is removed from the map for a turn and upon return takes slight damage and/or is weakened in someway.

Like pushing them in a new dimension.

RossD20Studios

• Founder & Game Developer, D20Studios
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
A spell like "void dimension". Unit is removed from the map for a turn and upon return takes slight damage and/or is weakened in someway.

This made me think of Diablo 3 when Diablo says "Welcome to my realm of Terror!" in that creepy voice after being pulled into his void dimension. Love it!

Diesbudt

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »

This made me think of Diablo 3 when Diablo says "Welcome to my realm of Terror!" in that creepy voice after being pulled into his void dimension. Love it!

When I mentioned this I was thinking the Warlock ability from DnD "Hurl through hell." But same thing really.