Daily Updates

Author Topic: Daily Updates  (Read 301170 times)

KellyD20Studios

• Marketing & Community Manager, D20Studios
  • Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Updates
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »

Card art:  Mana Loan, Celestial Spell

Learn more about our Celestial Spells here.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 28, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving from your friends at D20Studios!

And remember: a Griffin is not a turkey.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 04, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »
When non-being gives rise to existential motion, the raw, primal and pure potential energy created is called Chaos...

Learn more about Chaos Magic here.

Character pictured: Acolyte

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:52:34 AM by KellyD20Studios »

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 09, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
The Void is a balance of fear and hope: fear that eternity is without meaning or purpose, forever alone in despair, and hope that within lies the potential to be something that is great and loved...

Learn more about Void Magic here.

Character pictured: Skeleton Captain

RossD20Studios

• Founder & Game Developer, D20Studios
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 24, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
Merry Christmas Eve from us at D20Studios!

We've got some exciting updates coming in the next release of Summoners Fate early next year. In the meantime, I wanted to share that our friend Tom Larkworthy just launched his indie game, Corepox for Android where you can engineer your own spaceships and engage in autonomous multiplayer battles. Check it out and chat all about it with Tom on our #gamedevchats channel on Discord.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 25, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
Happy Holidays from your friends at D20Studios!

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 31, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »

Happy New Year's from your friends at D20Studios!

Card art:  "Spoil the Surprise." Learn more about Surprise mechanics in Summoners Fate here.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2020, 04:56:21 PM »

To view our past Dragon/Pitchfork comics, visit our Facebook page here and here.

Happy Valentine's Day!

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

We're getting ready for PAX East, and we will be there all 4 days. Play our latest demo for Summoners Fate & meet our D20Studios team in the PAX Rising exhibitor area. Come hurl a squirrel with us!

Characters pictured: Gladiator and Ironclad Soldier

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 11, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
PAX East 2020 marks my indie team’s sixth major showcase of Summoners Fate, and each time, we do a write up to help ourselves and others learn how we can improve our marketing skills. This event was our most successful show to date, breaking our previous best show’s record (the SLC Game Con) in the first two days alone. In this article, we’ll explore the data, our experience and my key-takeaway for this show: gratitude...

To read more about Ross and Peter's experience showcasing Summoners Fate at PAX East, click here for the the write-up on our Forum Dev Log. This article was also featured on GamaSutra.

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
Open World Exploration

In my Kickstarter updates, I've talked about two key elements I felt the single player needed to achieve the experience I envisioned for single player: fluidity in moment-to-moment interactions and overarching strategic planning - the sense of solving a grand puzzle. To this end, I've overhauled our game engine and transformed Summoners Fate into the first game of its kind to combine card mechanics, tactical battles, and seamless open world exploration. I passionately believe the end results will be worth the development time.

Here's a video showcasing the system in action:

How it Works:

• Worlds will be procedurally generated with hand-crafted elements, providing unique adventures every time you play.
  • Worlds are persistent for the duration of your adventure(s) with your Summoner. This means any environment destroyed, shop keepers killed, etc. will be permanent until you start a new adventure.
  • Adventures are designed to be episodic: rather than commit 80+ hours to the same character, the idea is that an adventure can be completed within about 1-4 hours (depending on the size of the world) and completion will unlock new characters/adventures to engage your creativity.
  • Battles are played turn-based on a tactical grid that can be of variety of sizes and dynamically created from anywhere in the over world (which is a massive grid itself).
  • After battle, the game switches to "explore mode" and you can roam freely throughout the world by tapping or clicking (depending on your platform) where you want your Summoner to go.
  • Other characters within your party will automatically follow your Summoner while exploring.
  • While exploring, you can switch to tactical mode at anytime to directly control any of your units. You can also cast spells directly from your deck. This enables strategic preparation.
  • You can retreat from battles - an innovation I devised to curb the randomness of procedural and grant more control to the player. This allows you to circumvent or better prepare for difficult battles (perhaps attacking from a different side of the map or with different party members).
  • Retreat and resurrection (retry after defeat) will cost resources that vary based on the level of difficulty you're playing at. This makes it approachable for casual players and very challenging for hard-core rogue-like fans.
  • Worlds have exterior and interior locations and you can seamlessly travel between them. There is freedom to explore off the beaten path and find hidden dungeons and treasure.

Presently, I am working on completing our procedural world generator and finalizing the other single player systems. These updates will be included with the next build release that I aim to make available in the next several weeks.

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
Fate Encounters

D20 Dice are back in Summoners Fate!

While I removed the dice rolls from the tactical combat in favor of more strategic control to the player, I always wanted to work them back into the game. After-all, we are "D20" Studios ;)

This video shows an example of a "Fate encounter" within Summoners Fate. Fate Encounters are mini-RPG sequences where the player encounters a situation and makes choices. The outcome of many decisions are governed by "fate" represented by the roll of a twenty sided die. During your adventures, you'll acquire dice - which you can then use to increase your odds of a successful fate encounter outcome.

Here's what happens if the bear is angered:

And when the bear runs away:

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 14, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
Fluidity and Seamless Openworld

Hi D20Studios fans - I just posted a new dev blog discussing how I'm using "fluidity" to improve gameplay experience in Summoners Fate. Check out out some of the new features coming in our next update and more here.

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
Let's Talk Tactics Game Design
Today I'll be making a guest appearance on Keith Burgun's game design show to discuss Summoners Fate and game design. Keith is a fellow tactics developer currently working on Gem Wizards Tactics.

Should be a lot of fun - join us at 12PM MT at Keith's twitch channel: https://m.twitch.tv/keithburgun/profile

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »
How Randomness Contributes to Strategic Thinking

Today on Gamasutra, I argue in favor of randomness in strategy games and explain how randomness contributes to the development of strategic thinking. Wanted to share and also thank my community here for all the input over the years on why things like the dice are so important in our games.

https://gamasutra.com/blogs/RossPrzybylski/20210127/376691/How_Randomness_Contributes_to_Strategic_Thinking.php