Daily Updates

Author Topic: Daily Updates  (Read 301072 times)

RossD20Studios

• Founder & Game Developer, D20Studios
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Updates
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »
And so the prophecy foretold, a future generation of D20Studios developers would rise up and do great things... Ross's son Wesley and Peter's son Michael create a game together in their first game jam!

Ancient Blade

For those who aren't familiar, a game jam is an event where participants are challenged to create an entire game over a short period of time (in this case 48 hours) that meets a particular theme. For this year's Global Game Jam, the theme was "Lost and Found". My son Wesley pitched, designed and programmed "Ancient Blade". He worked remotely with a team member (Peter's son Michael) who created artwork for the game per the asset list defined in his game design document. Throughout the event, he took feedback from industry professionals and applied this to improve his game with each iteration.

I was in awe to see how fast his young mind works and how passionately he embraced the challenges he encountered to make his game the best he could. While it's no secret Wesley looks up to me and wants to be a game developer like his daddy, in these moments watching him, he was my inspiration and role-model to aspire to.

Play Ancient Blade at: https://globalgamejam.org/2021/games/ancient-blade-3

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 19, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
Summoners Fate Wins Big in the Big Indie Pitch Competition
First off, thank you all for being so kind, patient and supportive during our development process. It means so much to get your personal messages of encouragement and know that you're still behind me in this journey we're on together. I hope this update brings a smile and some joy to your day.

Check Out Our Award-Winning Pitch
I'm pleased to share that Summoners Fate just won third place in the Big Indie Pitch competition! Not only did we get a chance to validate our game with veteran game journalists and publishers, we also take away a $3000 prize package in marketing and exposure with Pocket Gamer and 148Apps.

Here's a video of the winning pitch I delivered:

But, the build Ross, what about the build?!
As ecstatic as I am about our recent victory, I am absolutely thrilled to announce the release details for our long-anticipated single-player build.

When to Expect the New Build:

We plan to release the new build to prerelease players next month (June). I've just completed all the content planned for this release, and now it's just a matter of fixing known issues and optimizing the experience. I don't have an exact date. The timing will depend on final testing as well as review process for the Apple submission. My goal is ASAP, and I will commit to delivering before the end of June, whatever state it's in.

What To Expect in the New Build:

The next release of Summoners Fate is all about the single player experience. When you first login, you'll be transported to the forest realm where you'll once again help Sylvia, the Druid save the forest - only this time it will introduce our free-roam, open world mechanics including campsites, lore and fate encounters.

The Cosmic Tortoise invites you to relax by the fire and play Summoners Fate.

Upon completing this mission, you'll be presented with our new Play menu featuring the fan-favorite tortoise who has evolved into a key character within the game, carrying the burden of your growing card collection as well as opening portals to new worlds. From the play menu, you'll be able to choose the new Adventure mode or Battle mode (the gameplay mode you know and love from our earlier builds).

Adventure or Battle? Choose Your Fate

Adventures have three chapters, each featuring a different world. You'll choose a starting Summoner and begin your quest to defeat the three bosses. Worlds are populated with a combination of hand-crafted battles, fate encounters, shops, treasure and camp sites, selected through procedural curation to ensure you'll have a unique experience each time you play.

Note: For the sake of getting this build out to you sooner, there will be 3 different world biomes (dungeon, forest and desert), surfaced in a linear order, and with fixed bosses. For full release, I have plans for at least 2 additional biomes as well as up to 3 potential bosses per biome. For future builds, the biome order will also become dynamic (rather than linear) with the enemies scaling in difficulty according to the number of chapter the world is played on.

Another great feature in the upcoming build: You'll be able to switch between single player and multiplayer/battle mode at will. Battles and deckbuilding for multiplayer can be accessed directly from the settings menu, and upon battle completion, you'll return seamlessly to your current single player world. And with our new asset caching, load times between battles have been virtually eliminated.

Lore - Our Unique Way of Telling Stories
Battles in Summoners Fate are complimented by story presented through fate encounters and lore. In a previous update, I discussed how Fate Encounters will use D20 dice to determine the outcome of light RPG scenarios (ex: freeing a caged bear) to deliver story, activate events and unlock new characters. Lore is a new mechanic to Summoners Fate that I designed to help bridge the gap between these encounters and the story of the world and its characters.

Scrolls containing lore can be dropped by defeated enemies and discovered while searching objects. The text in these scrolls can:

Identify and provide flavor and depth to characters you encounter in the current world you are exploring
Reveal the identify of the world boss and tactics useful for defeating them
Reveal interesting insights about the world of Summoners Fate (this is called "universal lore")
We've found that lore can foster emergent story telling due to the random timings of its reveals with the encounters in the world. I think lore will also help further connect you to the characters you so diligently command in battle.

If nothing else, lore should ease any concerns you may have about the characters looking up at you

Until Next Time
I know you're all super excited to get your hands on the new build, and believe me, I am too! I can't wait to see our Discord and forums ignite with your feedback and ideas for new fate encounters and lore. I have a strong feeling the new adventure mode is going to spark some amazing creativity in our community.

See you next month for the release of Summoners Fate adventures!

KellyD20Studios

• Marketing & Community Manager, D20Studios
  • Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 03, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
Hey, friends!  ;)

Thanks to our player feedback, Summoners Fate now has new UI optimized for PC. Check it out!

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 04, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
Happy 4th of July!

Whether you are shooting fireworks or having toasted marshmallows with your friends (even if your friend is a Bear ;)), we at D20Studios hope you have a great day.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:38:07 AM by KellyD20Studios »

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »
Good news! Summoners Fate is now on Steam as Coming Soon. We invite you to Wishlist it now and help us spread the word.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 12, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
We are beginning a Guide to Summoners Fate on our new Steam page. There we will be doing a series of posts on dedicated to introducing you to the lore, characters and mechanics of Summoners Fate. Part 1 of the Guide is called "Why Do We Look Up?"

Head over to our Steam page to check it out!

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »
Check out this awesome preview article from Pocket Gamer on Summoners Fate!

RossD20Studios

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 17, 2021, 07:42:56 AM »
Who needs sleep?  ;D Been streaming Summoners Fate all night for PAX Online!

Come check it out: https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198096395883

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 18, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »
Have you checked out our Summoners Fate Guide Part 1: Why Do We Look Up? on our Steam page yet? We'd love you to visit, and give us a Thumbs Up if you liked it  ;)

Part 2: Exploration is coming out tomorrow. In this section, we deep dive into our Mists of Mayhem, Fate Encounters, Lore, Difficulty & more. Here's a a preview GIF:

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
New! Part 2 of our Summoners Fate Guide on Steam is live. This is a series of posts on dedicated to introducing you to the lore, characters and mechanics of Summoners Fate. Part 2 of the Guide is called "Exploration," where we delve into our Mists of Mayhem, Fate Encounters, Lore & more.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 21, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
Lore - Our Unique Way of Telling Stories

Summoners Fate has a unique approach to storytelling. There are no complex names, politics or locations to burden your memory. There is no character dialog to scroll through. What remains is a personalized and emergent story experience that unfolds through your interactions in the game. This is accomplished by our signature lore mechanic.....Keep reading on our Steam page. Part 2: Exploration of our Summoners Fate Guide is now live.

Lore certainly paints a picture, doesn't it? If you see this lore, a Skeleton Dragon inhabits your world.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 24, 2021, 07:33:11 AM »
Choose Your Difficulty

Difficulty determines your number of lives (or continues), enemy health and the kinds of monsters you’ll face in battles. Casual mode is designed to help players who are new to the genre learn how to play, while Hardcore mode offers a roguelike experience with permadeath. The standard difficulty is balanced for those seasoned in turn-based tactics and deckbuilding games and new to the unique mechanics of Summoners Fate...  Keep reading on our Steam page. Part 2: Exploration of our Summoners Fate Guide is now live.

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 24, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
Live Streaming Tonight - 7PM - 1AM MT & New DEMO

Click on this image between 7PM - 1AM MT tonight to view our live stream on our Steam page

We're excited to announce that Summoners Fate has been featured in the Dreamhack Beyond Event on Steam that runs from Saturday July 24th-July 31st.

To celebrate, we're offering a free demo of Summoners Fate on our store page that will be available during the Dreamhack Event. The demo features the Prelude chapter that will introduce you to combat and exploration and challenges you to fight one of the many powerful bosses at the end, should you dare...

We'll also be streaming our full adventures mode and battle mode throughout this week so you can get a sneak peak of the gameplay in store for you in the upcoming full version. Ross will be live tonight broadcasting on Steam between 7PM-1AM MT. Be sure to check it out and share your questions and comments in the chat - click here for the Live Stream between 7PM - 1AM MT.

We look forward to seeing you there!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:35:36 PM by KellyD20Studios »

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 30, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
Free Demo - Until Saturday

We are now offering a free demo of Summoners Fate on our store page that will be available during the Dreamhack Event, ending Saturday, 7/31. The demo features the Prelude chapter that will introduce you to combat and exploration and challenges you to fight one of the many powerful bosses at the end, should you dare...  :o

KellyD20Studios

• Administrator
  • Choose Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 02, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »

New! Part 3 of our Summoners Fate Guide is now live on our Steam page. This is a series of posts on dedicated to introducing you to the lore, characters and mechanics of Summoners Fate. Part 3 of the Guide is called "Strategic Resource Management," where we cover managing your resources including your Summoner, your hero companions, your deck of cards, lives, gold, dice, and… marshmallows?  :o